Tuesday 12 July 2011

ahhhh holidays


That's right, I'm on holiday at last. Two sweet weeks of project time... and more than enough to keep me busy. Here we go...



As I write I have a fresh egg from our chickens sitting on the desk in front of me. How romantic :) Our chickens stopped laying around March-April when moulting - we used to get 3 eggs a day from the 4 of them - and recently I was advised that dogroll gives them a protein boost and restarts laying. This seems to have worked to some extent. Apparently they need 10-12 hours of light each day to lay so I have added a light on a timer to their coop - a couple of extra hours in the morning and a couple in the evening. We now have 3 of 4 laying. Today I took our neighbour to pickup wheat for our chickens and his too. Good deal of $20 for 40kg from this guy - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=1368997 - pickup Sydenham so I also saved lots of petrol after switching from a supplier in Leeston.



Here are the beds the girls have finished:



Joylon mentioned on the Quiet Place blog that he put plastic over the top of his shower. We did this sometime between last EMF and the end of summer. Super highly recommended! It recently unstuck itself from the wall and I had a couple of showers without it. Not recommended! It's so cold losing all that steam! My theory is that as you don't need the shower temp up to prevent hypothermia, you save money in the hot water heating department.



In the food department I have been going hard on the bread making for the past month or two and have now achieved delicious white and wholemeal sourdough - yum! It's so fun and I like the idea of wild yeast working their magic.
More on that later in the week including a comprehensive how to!

Today's project was ditching the fridge. These websites are totally worth a read. There's heaps out there!  http://ditchyourfridge.blogspot.com/
http://savefoodfromthefridge.blogspot.com/



Last years glasshouse is still giving us tomatoes! Who would've thought? Slow but steady :)
We're thinking of taking out everything else and making tomatoes the main crop in there, nothing else was quite as good as those and we figure the massive root system established over summer and autumn will give us bumper crops earlier than if we planted new ones in spring.

Finally I planted a miniature orchard of cherries a couple of weeks ago. One day whoever lives here will appreciate the literal fruits of my labour :) There had been some black plastic laid to stop weeds, then covered with gravel so it was a bit of a mission to destroy someones hard work but it's for the best!
Keep your eyes on the blog - more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment