Wednesday 13 July 2011

Practical skills and getting out of bed.

A little while ago I decided that I was tired of being a science academic and thus having no practical skills whatsoever. So I learnt some. I’m still a science academic, but these days I can actually do some useful (and eco) things too. Some examples:

I built a single-speed bike from a combination of new and second-hand parts. That was fun. Although, sanding the nasty, degraded coat of paint off to repaint it again was a pain in the arse. It looks good now though. And the fact that it’s a single-speed means that it never, ever breaks; except occasionally, when I try to make it run better.

I try not to get too attached to objects, but I probably love this more than a person should love a collection of metallic parts.

More recently, I’ve been taking a night course in woodwork at Papanui High. The fees were minimal, and they’ve got an awesome workshop set up there. My plan was to make pelmets for my room, but an initial tea tray project ended up taking a wee bit longer than I’d expected. The course is over now, but I’m hoping to continue at home. I might even have my pelmets finished by the end of winter.

It's a thing of beauty.

That’s about the limit so far.

Some news on my getting out of bed issues. I broke my oath of not using a radiator. I tried an oil one on a timer for one morning. It didn’t even make a dent in the cold, so I don’t really see the point. However, I have discovered that if I set my coffee machine on a timer so there is a steaming cup of delicious black stuff waiting for me next to my bed when I wake up, then I can get out of bed. Is that eco?

Win.

Other good news: the hard lemonade that I was so disappointed with has finally got its arse in gear and started bubbling away. I’m looking forward to trying it. Although, I worry that it might be stomach-turningly acidic.

No comments:

Post a Comment